Tried and True Packing Tips for a Caribbean Sailing Vacation
Following these tips will take the mystery out of packing for a sailing vacation in the Caribbean
1) Don’t over pack! **
2) Use a strong duffel bag (like the Rick Steves convertible backpack) that fits in the overhead bin on the plane-thus limiting how much you bring and allowing you to keep your luggage with you at all times-the best way to ruin a vacation is to have to deal with lost luggage
3) Remember travel documents-passports and copies of passport
4) Pack sun protection-hat, sunglasses, travel size aloe and SPF 15 or higher sunscreen
5) Bring prescriptions in clearly marked original containers to avoid customs hassles. Have enough for extra days in case travel is delayed
6) Bring a few band aids, pain reliever, seasickness remedy, anti-diarrhea medication, small flashlight
7) Snorkel if you don’t want to use the ones provided by charter company (fins/mask/snorkel are oftentimes provided by the charter company)
8) Digital devices AND chargers or extra batteries! Camera, IPod, phone (may not be able to use it in all locations), and a waterproof bag for all to be stowed in. Bag can also be used to transport these items on the dinghy, where splashing is common
9) Toss in several sizes of Ziploc bags – to separate clean from dirty clothes, to keep little items together, and to protect that extra copy of your passport and ID
10) Bring a deck of cards or paperback to pass the time on layovers
**For a one week sailing vacation, you will need the following clothing items: 3-4 swim suits; 3-4 pairs of shorts; 7 t-shirts (plus whatever you buy along the way); sandals and walking shoes (either tennis or boat shoes) which can get wet; swim suit cover-up; enough underwear for the week; sleepwear; a light windbreaker for quick tropical downpours; a beach towel; and personal toiletries.
It is also a good idea to have some kind of day pack or fanny pack that lets you carry money, sunglasses, passport, guide books, a water bottle, sunscreen or anything else you might need ashore.